Thing 4: “Cool Cat Teacher’s” Spy Article is a MUST READ!

by   Posted on May 29, 2008 in Uncategorized  and tagged , ,

I shutter to think about what we teachers have considered insurmountable problems in the past…copyright, plaigarism, chalk dust on our backsides! Teacher Vicki Davis has definitely trumped all of those deadly dreads with her article, “Spies Like Us.” As she details for us the James Bond-like, pocket-sized electronics that more and more students don’t leave home without, I am motivated to start a list of possible defenses. [Vicki does reveal her defense, but I won't spoil that for you!]

Once considered a relatively innocent form of communication between individuals, cell phones are fast becoming mobile recording studios with our students at the controls. Vicki says “It will send chills up your spine as they [students] admit their willingness to engage in clandetine behavior” if they feel threatened or justified in doing so. Apparently, recording others without permission –and even worse, editing original recordings– is fast becoming a favorite pastime of our students.

Proactivity, of course, is the best counter to inappropriate behavior, but as Vicki says, schools today have new hours–24×7! So proactivity on the part of teachers and administrators will be a challenge at best. “I believe that the wise teachers and administrators are going to get in front of this issue,” suggests Vicki. However, as she shares, because students are primarily self-taught when it comes to technology, they focus on the HOW rather than the SHOULD.

Much food for thought. This informative article is a MUST READ for administrators and teachers BEFORE classes begin in the fall. Check it out and find out what Vicki does on a daily basis to counter this 21st century threat. …And while you’re at it, check out her blog. Among other interesting reads, you’ll enjoy her article “8 Reasons Bloggers Hide Their Blog: A Call for You to Share a Link to Your Blog.”

9 Responses

1. Hi Barbara! I’m a Web 2.0 student like you and I teach 6th and 7th grade English and Literature at Lakeview Academy in Gainesville. I found this article inspiring and a little scary. We deal with these issues even though I feel that we do a pretty good job of teaching technology and ethics. Technology is changing so quickly and our students are getting “oh so smart” with it. I struggle to keep up with the changes and get everything done in a day that I have to do! Not only are cell phones annoying in class, they are disrupting the integrity of the learning taking place in the classroom. As you said, much food for thought. Thanks for your comments.

Lisa B.

2. Hi Barbara! I’m a Web 2.0 student like you http://lisabendin.edublogs.org/ and I teach 6th and 7th grade English and Literature at Lakeview Academy in Gainesville. I found this article inspiring and a little scary. We deal with these issues even though I feel that we do a pretty good job of teaching technology and ethics. Technology is changing so quickly and our students are getting “oh so smart” with it. I struggle to keep up with the changes and get everything done in a day that I have to do! Not only are cell phones annoying in class, they are disrupting the integrity of the learning taking place in the classroom. As you said, much food for thought. Thanks for your comments.

Lisa B.

3. Not sure why this cell phone business was such a surprise to you. I have been giving my students a copy of my DNA at the beginning of the year so there’s really nothing they don’t know about me that they might catch with a recording device.

In all seriousness, I suppose what’s so frightening and yet obvious about all this is that when something becomes possible, it also becomes probable. A colleague of mine was telling me about some girls who use the camera in their Macbooks like mirrors to check their makeup. A punto!

Sure, there are going to management issues that arise, and we will be forced to act like engineers developing fail-safe systems at nuclear reactors. Or if that metaphor doesn’t work for you, how about playing catcher in the rye?

Hopefully, the possible-probable connection will also work to all of our advantage. There does seem to be an awful lot of cool stuff out there with Web 2.0. We just need to be able to see the cool stuff in the same way the kids see the features of their cellphones…

4. I read the same blog, Perk, and it was chilling! The same students who said it’s wrong to video or record someone without their permission then said they would most certainly do it and feel justified if they felt wronged or needed to set the teacher straight. Yikes! I work with budding adolescents, and you with confirmed teenagers! Can anyone spell “emotional”? The thought of deliberate set-ups and editing to change reality sends shivers. In addition to her proactive solution, though, I really liked the idea of having ongoing chats about ethics and appropriate usage. Trouble is, the most confirmed abusers are probably the least likely to listen.

You might want to check your link for the “8 Reasons….” I think you may have used the homepage link instead of the permalink for the article. ;-)

5. Thanks for highlighting this article. I hadn’t caught up on my reading yet and hadn’t seen this one. Vicki Davis is a phenomenal teacher and does a very good job blogging about practicalities as well as trends. Aren’t you glad she’s a teacher in Georgia?

6. I really needed your encouragement today. I was looking through links and have been out of town. On the right side of your blog you put “Vicki Davis is inspiring” and linked to my blog.

You have no idea what that means to me. Sometimes it is tough to blog and I feel like “who am I?” There are sOOOO many amazing teachers out here and the work you’re doing on this blog is amazing! I’m so grateful that my blog makes a difference to some teachers and educators and inspiring is my dream for what I want my blog to be.

This one compliment means more to me than just about anything anyone has ever done. And it was just at the right time.

Thank you! Thank you! I really needed that!

7. Collaboration, encouragement, inspiration –that’s what it’s all about! I’m having such a great summer and it’s because of reading blogs like yours and actually receiving responses from bloggers like you! Life is good! Ha! Thanks for taking the time to comment.

8. So many schools, including mine, outlaw iPods and cellphones. This policy places these handhelds back into pockets, bookbags, & purses where we cannot keep tabs on them. I would much rather SEE the enemy and formulate a battle plan than engage in outright guerilla warfare. And it is a battle. A battle for our children’s minds and hearts.

9. I’m very excited about your following post. Thanks again for making such high quality content.